Available 24/7/365 for a Free Consultation
Call Now

Auto Liability Limits May Be Less Than What You Deserve

Image of a T-bone accident, with a green sedan that crashed into the driver's side of a white sedan. Police car on the scene, behind the accident.

A car accident that’s caused by the negligence of another driver is unexpected and can have lasting financial effects. Car insurance helps to cover most expenses of an accident, or that is what most people assume. Oklahoma requires all drivers to carry a minimum amount of liability protection, which can provide some relief to the affected parties involved in the accident.

Oklahoma requires that a driver carries liability insurance with the following minimum coverage:

  • $25,000 for injury or death, per person
  • $50,000 total for injury or death
  • $25,000 for property damage

Minimum Coverage May Not Cover Everything

While this coverage may seem like it will cover all damages and losses in an accident, that’s not always the case. For example, let’s say someone with a brand new vehicle was in an accident and it was declared a total loss. If the other party carried limited liability insurance, it may not be enough to cover the complete loss. If the car was worth $40,000 and the insurance company sent a check for $25,000, this leaves the individual with a financial burden of $15,000.

To extend this example, let’s say that there were two individuals injured in the accident. Since the other party carried limited liability coverage of $50,000, and both individuals injured have medical bills over $50,000 each, this leaves an additional financial burden as well.

As we know, we can’t control what other people choose to have on their insurance policy, only the requirement to carry the minimum liability insurance. It’s a good idea to have additional coverage on your policy to supplement any gaps from the negligent driver’s minimum insurance coverage. This can include the following:

  • Collision: This coverage helps pay for your car in an accident
  • Comprehensive: This covers non-accident related damages such as theft, fire, and water
  • Medical Payments: This coverage helps pay for your medical payments if you are injured in an accident
  • Uninsured Motorist: If you are hit by a driver that is uninsured, this helps pay for that cost

It’s important to contact an accident attorney to file a claim on your behalf in order to receive fair compensation after insurance denial or underpayment. Contact Aizenman Law Group today to get started on your case.